– The first thing you need to do is to add some color to the rooms. Warm and subtle colors that are less attacking and intrusive are ideal for small spaces. Expert lighting and creative and practical furnishings can also add a lot to any small space and house.
– Utilize vertical space if you can; the truth is that you cannot extend the house you already have, thus, you can make it look bigger and taller, organizing it right. You should consider some built-in pieces of furniture and modular units, which can both maximize the storage space, while giving the illusion of a higher ceiling.
– Try to decorate from ceiling to floor if you want to add volume; you can add some height to the room adding some plants or ceiling fans, or installing tall lamps, or anything that anchors the space and brings eyes up.
– Choose cabinets that reach all the way up to the ceiling and add some decorative items on top of them, in order to create an illusion of height.
– Do not underestimate the importance of lighting. According to most professionals, lighting has to be priority in smaller spaces, because it can either improve the perception of space or completely ruin it. Sometimes people are looking for smart ideas for small spaces, undervaluing what they should; light can make a space intimate or grand, warm or cold.